Monday, October 5, 2009

Fall Flavors!

For tonight I decided to celebrate the arrival of Fall with a meal highlighting some of my favorite fall flavors. I had fantastic assistance from friends, who brought lovely items. Particularly in the theme was Floren's pumpkin gnocchi, which paired nicely with the Butternut Cider Bisque.

The bisque was my first ever attempt at soup. I was really happy with how it turned out. Dean told me once that he enjoys making soup because you can't overcook it. The longer you cook it the better it gets. TRUE STORY! I was displeased with the consistency, so I just let it simmer. For a long time. And eventually it was thick and lovely. It needed salt and paper IMO, but I'm also a big fan of the salt and fresh ground pepper. It worked nicely for my guests, because I had a range of tastes at the table, and so everyone seasoned to their liking. But, overall, this soup was easy and delicious. Very nice fall flavor! The picture, as I'm sure you can figure out, is not of the soup. Because, well, it wasn't very exciting. So instead its a picture of my nice table setting. Nice...other than the one non-matching bowl. Because I only have six bowls. =(

Do I even have to tell you about the bacon wrapped dates? Bacon is delicious. Cream cheese is delicious. Almonds are delicious. Dates are...well...not as delicious as all those other things, but when you put those delicious other things in and around a date? Wow. Wow! Super easy, crowd pleasing appetizers. I cooked them longer than was called for, but that's because my bacon was a little thick (I had wrapped the bacon around more than once because I cut the pieces too long) and because I like crispy bacon. Very successful. Great if you need to bring something to a potluck. You'll be a star. And this pic is not cute, but they just came out of the oven, and trust me they tasted amazing.


Finally, the pork. Pork tenderloin is lovely, but I really had cook time issues with this recipe. I ended up cooking the pork for about 20 minutes rather than 10, and it still wasn't done! I sliced it and cooked it for a few more minutes, and that worked. It had fantastic flavor, though. The cranberry stuffing, which isn't really stuffing at all but more of a thick paste, smelled delicious and the pork really sucked in the tart and sweet combination of flavors. I traded out the cascabel powder for ancho, because, I'll be honest here, Cville grocery stores are not the place to find the fancy spices. Anyways, the substitution was fine. The strangest part of this recipe was the Chicken Sauce. I really don't know what that was for. But I will say, whatever this sauce was for, it had fabulous flavor! I think I'll try to make it a base for a hearty soup. Final note on this recipe is that the veggies were fine. Should have used butter, though. And, as always, more salt and pepper.



The most difficult part of this menu was that everything became super active at the same time. The cook times were all different, but it resulted in me doing a crazy amount of different things all at once. The soup needed to be run through the blender, the dates needed to be stuffed and wrapped, the veggies needed to come out of the oven, and the pork needed to be browned. All at the same time! Yikes! And I'm not really sure I could have avoided that. But I wrote out a schedule, and at least I knew what needed to happen next, which was really helpful in getting everything done. Didn't even come close to hitting my timeline, but the courses allowed me to get away with my timing issues.

The Menu:
Baked Brie: courtesy of Mario. Delish, really.
Pumpkin Gnocchi: courtesy of Floren. Awesome.
Chocolate Lava Cakes with Peanut Butter Filling: OMG. Amazing. From Katie. http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/molten-chocolate-cake-with-peanut-butter-filling

One last thing. And this is really important. The food my friends brought was really excellent. Mario's baked brie was beautiful and delicious, and was devoured. Floren's gnocchi was an awesome addition that fit perfectly with the fall theme and tasted great with the soup. And Katie's dessert was...WOW. WOWOWOW. Not only was this a complicated dessert that she executed flawlessly, because the cakes had perfect consistency and were moist but held their shape nicely, Katie had ridiculously gorgeous plating. It was restaurant worthy. Five stars, Katie. Five stars. (Also, the way to win a fab review from me is to combine chocolate and peanut butter and make it warm and gooey. WIN!).

So, happy Fall everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment