Sunday, October 4, 2009

Back blog 5...I <3 Tart!

Okay, okay. I didn't make a tart. I made a fruit cobbler. But it was a tart fruit cobbler!

I had a really great cobbler at a French restaurant in Denver this summer. Bistro Ven Dome. Fantastic. Their fruit cobbler was served in a metal measuring cup. It had raspberries, blueberries, and mango. Really fantastic combination of tart, sweet, and exotic. And it was also served with honey ice cream. Mmmm.

So, when I got home I decided I would attempt a fruit cobbler. And this was a good stab. My biggest complaint was that I actually prefer a drop crust, and this was a biscuit type crust. And I didn't own a rolling pin at the time. Or any cookie cutters! Yikes. So, the reason there is a heart on top is that I had to cut the thing free-hand. And cutting a heart is much easier than trying to cut a star. All those lines and angles! Yeeesh.
Anyways, the flavor on this was really nice. I think it could have cooked a bit longer to reduce some of the liquid a little further and make it settle better. It also may have seemed more like a cobbler with more crust. But as a fruity compote that could be used as a topping for ice cream, or enjoyed on its own, it was a pretty good attempt.

No comments:

Post a Comment