Saturday, October 3, 2009

Brunch!

I hosted brunch before a UVA tradition: Foxfield.
The real challenge: How do you make two quiches, breakfast potatoes, mint simple syrup, lay a table, entertain guests, keep the dog out of trouble, and manage to get dressed and look fabulous while getting all that stuff done? Answer: It's all about planning!

Here are the two quiche recipes I used:
http://amicuscupcake.blogspot.com/ - the goat cheese and pesto quiche
I've never made as many changes to a recipe as I did to these. On the goat cheese quiche, the onion cook time was too long/hot, as was the bake time. Some of my onions burnt, so I picked them out before mixing my ingredients. I baked the goat cheese quiche at 325 for 45 minutes and that was plenty.

On the asparagus quiche, I used only 1 tsp of salt. That 1 tablespoon is WAY wrong. I decided to get pretty with the look of the asparagus quiche by using fresh asparagus stalks on the top. The presentation on these quiches was *muah*, although I did think that the asparagus quiche could have been baked a touch longer. I did 325 for 45 minutes, and it might have been a little more solid with 50 minutes. But they still tasted great. The little touch of Dijon in the asparagus quiche gave it some bite.

I did all my prep work the day before, so in the morning all I had to do was roll out my crusts (giant pain!) and combine things. This was a very good plan, because cooking/baking in the morning is hard before I've had a cup of coffee.

While the quiches baked, I got dressed, and then made the potatoes. Thanks mom for that fabulous apron!
Here's the recipe for the potatoes:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/smoky-paprika-home-fries-recipe/index.html
The potatoes had great flavor, but honestly they needed some serious salt and pepper. Mostly salt. I also thought some cayenne or maybe some diced jalapenos would have added a little somethin' somethin'.
For mint juleps, because you can't have a southern horse racin' party without mint juleps, I made a mint simple syrup using fresh mint leaves that I allowed to heat with the syrup for a few minutes. I then strained them out, and popped the syrup in the fridge. Made for well mixed mint juleps with some serious mint flavor.

Overall, this was a successful operation. I had a little trouble starting, but having all my ingredients ready and all my supplies laid out on the counter really helped jump start my productivity.
This was a beautifully executed brunch, and I want to say thanks to everyone who brought something. It wouldn't have been as awesome without all your contributions!

2 comments:

  1. Looks beautiful, good job dear!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, only just found out about your blog. Looks great. Sorry you needed to tweak the quiche settings, but I'm glad it worked out for you!

    ReplyDelete