Friday, August 20, 2010

Salad Week - Day 3 - Caprese

I've never really loved Caprese. I think it takes the right combination of vine ripened tomatoes (the tomato snob in me comes out!), fresh picked basil, and good mozzarella. And when you're shopping at the local grocery store, its hard to find that combination.

For tonight's salad, I used three heirloom tomatoes. They looked beautiful. One was red, one green, and one yellow. But they didn't taste as great as they looked. The basil was picked from my plant in the backyard. And the mozzarella was...$4.99. Suggests to me it wasn't the best choice, but the grocery store didn't have much else.

So, I'm sure you've seen caprese. Not rocket science. Slice of tomato, basil leaf, mozzarella. Stack. Make another. Then another. I always like to layer them in a ring, but if you're serving this as a group appetizer, individual stacks are convenient.

Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil, and sprinkle with fresh ground pepper and coarse salt. I also like to add a drizzle of balsamic, or vincotto for a real treat.

No comments:

Post a Comment