Thursday, August 19, 2010

Salad Week - Day 2 - Citrus and Chicken Salad

I'm trying to be efficient in this effort. Okay, fine. I'm lazy! So, tonight's salad included many similar ingredients from last night's effort. But the taste was totally different!

I started with a bed of chopped spinach. Chopping made it SO much better! And allowed me to put more on my plate. Good good! Then I put a layer of sliced chicken that was leftover from salad day one. Added some slices of grapefruit on top of that.

In a separate bowl I tossed some avocado, cucumber, red onion, and red heirloom tomato. I tossed some citrus vinaigrette (recipe to follow) into the veggie mix, along with some salt and pepper to taste. Threw it all on top, and it was just delicious! Refreshing and healthy. And definitely a more balanced salad tonight than last night.

The citrus vinaigrette:
1 tablespoon fresh squeezed grapefruit juice (or to taste)
1 tablespoon grape seed oil
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 tsp Dijon mustard (or also to taste)

Combine ingredients. Mix. This is where I got the basics for this recipe, so if you are making salad for more than one person, or don't like my balance of ingredients (or grapefruit, because it can be a little bitter) try the original: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/saras-secrets/shrimp-spiced-mango-and-avocado-salad-with-citrus-dressing-recipe/index.html

No comments:

Post a Comment