Thursday, August 12, 2010

Jessica -1. Pineapple Upside Down Cake - 1.

So, I wanted to make the PUD again, for my grandma's birthday. I was again baking in an unfamiliar kitchen. And it did not go so well.

First, I know my grandparents have a cast iron skillet. Did I know where it was? No. Did they know where it was? No. Sigh. So I had to make due with what was there. I chose a spring form pan. Probably not the best decision of my life.

I also did not have the internet, so I couldn't really look up the properties of the spring form. If I had, I may have discovered that baking in the spring form would take more time than the cast iron skillet. Sadly, I hypothesized that the spring form had thinner walls, and a thinner bottom, and would therefore take less time to bake.

At least I made one substantial right life decision. I put a baking sheet under the spring form. Good thing, because the spring form, well... it sprung a leak. So I lost a little of my delicious brown sugar topping.

I pulled the cake out early, because I'd overbaked the last time. And it was definitely not done in the middle. The only thing I'm surprised about is that I did toothpick test it. And when I pulled the toothpick out, it came out moist, but pretty clean. This means I either didn't test it in the middle (where it was still not set) or...I don't know. Because the edges were perfectly baked. They were moist, they were fluffy, the topping was delicous. And I think if I'd baked it long enough for the middle to set, the edges would have burned. But maybe I'm wrong about that.

So, if you can imagine the pineapple upside down cake, I ended up tossing the entire center of the cake. I just cut around that middle pineapple ring, because everything underneath it was not done.

Sigh. Best out of three, PUD?

No comments:

Post a Comment