Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Mac n Cheese Please!

I'd been itching to try my hand at homemade mac n cheese. And since it was finals, comfort food seemed to be just what was needed! I started with the following recipe:
www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/baked-macaroni-and-cheese-recipe/index.html. I used two types of cheddar, a smokey yellow cheddar, and an extra sharp white cheddar.

I also decided that a little bacon was in order to make this recipe extra delicious. So I substituted some of the butter for rendered bacon fat in equal amounts. I also fried up a few pieces of bacon. I chopped them up and added them to the noodle mixture. The bacon added that extra little touch that made this dish super delish. I'd say 5 strips of thick bacon will do the trick, but make sure you chop them finely. Some of mine were a little too big, which was not aesthetically pleasing.

The only tough piece in making this recipe was the tempering of the egg. Beeeee careful! It sucks to ruin all your work by adding the egg in before its been properly tempered. I spend forever tempering. Better safe than seriously sorry. Also, be active in stirring the heated milk. I wasn't so careful, and it formed a thin layer on the bottom of the pan. Not detrimental to the recipe. But made cleaning up after a serious pain.

Overall, this recipe was pretty easy and totally delicious. Much better than Easy Mac, especially during finals!

No comments:

Post a Comment