Sunday, December 27, 2009

Call me Julia! - Boeuf Bourguignon

After watching Julie & Julia, I felt inspired. I decided to go for the big time, and make Julia Childs' boeuf bourguignon. No small feat. I googled, and found a million different blogs, articles, and other websites dedicated to Julia's famous recipe. I used the recipe here: http://www.oprah.com/recipe/food/recipesmeat/20090806-orig-julia-child-boeuf-bourguignon.

Ignore the ridiculous typos courtesy of Oprah's staff.

Okay, so the first challenge I had was that I'm in rural New Mexico, and bacon rind was not an option. I just ignored that ingredient, and added a little extra bacon to compensate. This was another adventure where I once again learned that I should lay out all my prepared ingredients, because the first part of this recipe goes fastfastfast. But once you get it in the oven, it's pretty much done.

Don't worry about preparing anything else you're serving with this dish until after you get it into the oven. You'll have plenty of time. I left it in for 2:15, but I was cooking at high elevation, and I browned the meat pretty thoroughly.

While the stew was in the oven, I made a salad with pear, gorgonzola,spicy pecans, and a homemade vinaigrette. I served the stew over mashed potatoes, which really enhanced the flavor and paired nicely with the texture. I also served some fresh french bread, to use for soaking up the juices, and as a side I also provided some roasted garlic cloves to spread on the bread. Delicious!

I'll post the spicy nut recipe separately. I need to try it again when I'm not running around trying to accomplish too many things at once.

I have no profound insight on this recipe. I think this may be one of those practice makes perfect recipes. I may have to try it again, because I thought the meat was a little dry, and could have been seasoned better. But there are SO many delicious recipes to be made!

No comments:

Post a Comment