Sunday, September 19, 2010

Pie Crust, Try Two: Practice Makes Perfect

After a few weeks to mend my wounds after my sort of defeat at the hands of pie crust, I got back in the kitchen to try it all again. This time I went for a classic. Apple Pie. I used the same combination of ingredients for my pie crust, because Pennsylvania is still thwarting my efforts at getting lard (and alcohol, but that's another rant).

This time I learned from my last effort. More water. Just a little bit more. And it really made a big difference. This time I had no problem getting my dough to hold together. However, I also recognized a new flaw in my technique. I don't use my rolling pin well. I noticed it in the first disc I rolled out (I was doing a two crust pie). Rather than starting at the bottom and rolling all the way out, I often start in the middle. Hence, my crusts end up with uneven thickness, and lots of dough on one side. I tried rolling from one edge to the other with my second disc, and that turned out so much better! My pie top was beautifully even, with no tears. Go me!

For the filling, I peeled, cored, and sliced 6 apples. I prefer granny smith, but I tossed in two of the red/green ones (what are they called again?)for some variety, and then covered the apples with 2 tablespoons of lemon juice. In a separate, small bowl, I mixed together 3/4 cup sugar, 1/4 tsp cinnamon, 1/8 tsp salt, and 2 tablespoons flour. Poured that into the apples, and tossed it until the apples were evenly coated. Once I had the filling in my pie crust, I chopped 2 tablespoons of cold butter into small cubes and spread them over the apples, then put the top layer of dough on.

And the result? Mmmmmm delicious! And that wasn't just my opinion. My guinea pig...uh...expert taster Aaron agreed! Yay!

Doesn't it look pretty?!

3 comments:

  1. Hey, it's Steph (from Shergold). Looks good! I attempted my first homemade pie crust this weekend...should be blogging it soon. But one tip I read is to replace 1 Tbl of cold water with 1 Tbl of chilled vodka. The vodka is supposed to bake off in the oven and leave you with a flakier pie crust!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! I like that vodka suggestion. Except buying vodka in Pennsylvania is a giant pain in the butt! :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. but aren't you supposed to roll from the middle out? wonder why that was difficult for you.

    ReplyDelete